Sunday, December 7, 2008

I'm back from Baltimore.....

So I got to see Dad in person. He looks better than I had expected, which is similar to when he had his heart surgery. I guess he's pretty resilient!

The surgery was more extensive than they had originally thought (as I had posted last time). He also had a perforation, which is quite serious. But, his recovery is going well so far. He was up sitting in a chair for a few hours and had 2 lines removed while I was there. Hopefully, he will be transferred from the ICU to a surgical unit today.

Days 3-5 (Monday through Wednesday) are the critical days to watch for infection. If he can get through those days unscathed, he's on the track for discharge possibly Friday or Saturday. His more immediate goal is to get the NG tube out so he can start taking liquids by mouth. Currently, his big craving is a tall, cold glass of either grape juice or lemonade.

Dad wishes me to tell you all that he is choosing to remain incommunicado during his stay. This could change but at least for now he's keeping to himself. I will continue to update with any status developments!

Baltimore was great, for the short time I was there. Mom and I took the metro and went to lunch at Tir Na Nog in the Inner Harbor (not realizing that Maryann Benninger was having her wedding reception a stone's throw away!). It was a pretty nice afternoon overall. Mom plans to come home Tuesday for a couple of days before heading back down to pick him up (that's the hope!).

Thank you, as always for your thoughts, prayers, well wishes and good mojo! They're all very much appreciated and still needed!

Monica

0 comments: