Ok, I talked to mom who spoke with the surgeon directly. I will do my best to transcribe.
They started with laproscopic surgery. He had an extensive amount of diverticulitis/osis. (http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diverticulosis/) He's likely had it for years and the colonoscopy at Halloween jump started it into high gear.
Once they realized the extent of the damage, they needed to open him up. His appendix was adhered to the bowel. They needed to resection. Thankfully, there is no evidence of any cancer and he did not need a colostomy.
He'll be in the ICU for a day or 2, both due to the extent of the surgery and his cardiac history.
After that, it'll likely be at LEAST a week of hospitalization recovery. Aunt Kay and Uncle Jeeemy have offered for Mom & Dad to stay in Gettysburg after that since a 4 hour drive home will very probably be too much for him when he's discharged. Also, he'll need some follow-up appointments at Johns Hopkins, and a round trip from NY to MD will be difficult at best.
That's all for now. I'm heading down tomorrow, hopping a ride with my good friend Moira and her family who are visting her uncle in Baltimore. Hopefully I'll get to see him for a little bit.
If I learn any more tonight, I'll update. If not, I'll be back late Saturday night and I'm not sure if I can update the blog while I'm gone for the day.
Thanks to everyone for the good thoughts, vibes and prayers!!!
Monica
Friday, December 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Thinking of all of you <3 Hope everything continues on an upswing :o/ love you!
-Moe
Post a Comment